Sunday, August 13, 2006

Touchdown

We interrupt your regularly scheduled programming for this update --

*************

I just touched down in Bangkok after a brutal, 24hr flight (thanks to a 2 hr layover in SFO and 6hr layover in Narita). I'm completely beat, since I haven't slept much the previous couple of nights either, thanks to moving craziness. In total it's been about 8hrs in bed out of 3 days...ouch). I'm staying at the Shanti Lodge, which looks to be really awesome so far.

The craziest thing happened in narita though - I ran into Tim Choi, good friend whom I haven't seen in a long time at the airport!! He was on a flight back to sfo and I was waiting to transit to bangkok. I walked into this japanese food court to get some food, and i heard someone call my name. I was like, "wtf? there must be a mistake." I turn around and lo and behold, there's Tim! Crazy huh? We hung out for an hr while I ate some food and caught up, that was really cool. Talk about a small world.

Thus far, I'd have to say I think Thailand's rumored heat is overrated. Nyc was hotter and more humid. The mosquitoes, however, are not. I've only been here a couple hours and the assault has already begun in earnest. I count half a dozen so far. This must be the new guy welcome...

3 comments:

Huat said...

Wow - that's a great small world story. Enjoy Bangkok! Looking forward to more updates.

totochi said...

Did you get the air conditioning? New York is hot for a month; Bangkok is like that all the time.

closetmusician said...

Nah, it's actually fairly comfortable at night with a fan. I don't think I'll need AC for this trip at all, unless it gets a lot hotter. The weather has been quite decent actually, since it's overcast all the time, it's actually not that hot.