Monday, August 14, 2006

Pics!

More pictures!

Quick post before I get eaten alive by the mosquitoes...

Wat Pho temple


Temple of the Jade Buddha


Men playing some form of checkers using...bottle caps?


Oh beautiful, glorious, CHEAP food! (340 baht, about $9)




A wonderful street vendor who provided me lunch


I had a blast trying to speak to her using my pidgin Thai picked up from the back of my LP guide. It's pretty amazing how far you can get by on facial expressions, a map, and lots of smiles. We managed to chat about my photos, what to see and what to what to avoid (Q: what does gun gesture + south of Thailand equal? A: mafia country!), and she taught me how to count to 10 :) Thai is damn hard, I tell ya. Their writing alphabet seem so complicated. Now I understand why people complain Chinese characters are so hard; to the untrained eye it must look like the friggin' Egyptian hieroglyphs!

Now boarding: flight to Hell!


At the Ancient City






I finally decided to get a travel photography book to actually teach myself how to shoot better photos. Prior to this I had always been a trial-and-error photographer, basically getting by just by shooting a large volume of shots and picking the best ones. While digital photography affords one the ability to do so, it obviously doesn't get one very far, and I bit the bullet and splurged on an actual guide. It was 850 baht (~$21), but I think it's totally worth it. Now I can really consciously work on getting better on this trip. I just picked it up yesterday, but I think (hope) my composition is already getting a little better!

6 comments:

Huat said...

Dude - did you order all of that food for yourself?! :)

closetmusician said...

Well, it wasn't exactly intentional. You see, food portions are a lot smaller here (in general just about everywhere outside the US is, I think it's more like American portions are way oversized). So I'm used to ordering more, but this one turned out to be quite substantial, so needless to say I was pretty stuffed

Anonymous said...

Oh come on man, you knew how much food you were getting, we all ate that much multiple times on our trip! ;-P Come on Huat, you were at the Turkish Buffet...

totochi said...

I was in Thailand with three Korean-American guys and we usually ordered 2x number of dishes we would in the U.S. The waitress would take our order, start to walk away, and we'd have to call her back since we were not done ordering. It was still cheap and good though.

closetmusician said...

believe it or not, all that food was too much, even for me =P

Anonymous said...

Btw, your photos look great!