Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Me mates

Interestingly, I've been traveling for almost two weeks now, and I have still yet to meet a single American. I've met people from the UK, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Malaysia, Israel, and just about everywhere else, but not the US. Sadly, it seems to confirm the stereotype that Americans don't get out of their backyard. I read a stat once that something like over 90% of Americans don't even have a passport?! How sad is that?

So far I've had no trouble meeting people at all. It seems that SE asia circuit is much more social, even compared to Europe. I haven't had a single night by myself when I didn't want to. Some nights I've basically had to decline going out or else I just wouldn't be able to get up the next day. It's certainly been a welcome change compared to certain days when I was traveling through the Baltics last year and I'd go a couple days without speaking to anyone, literally. That was character building, but also a bit challening at times. Still, SE asia circuit is definitely a great place to chill and party, and I think you also get further away from the obnoxious American frat boys on the European circuit.

I was talking w/ a woman from the UK and she just raved about the S. America circuit - Chile, Argentina,

Shout outs to some of the people I've been hanging out w/ so far - surprisingly, a whole lot of British people. I just got on a tour bus today again w/ a bunch of Brits, they were all totally awesome. Completely shatters the stereotype that Brits are cold and reserved.

Me mates - Matt (Australia), and Lina and Sarah from UK


More mates - Sara, Binit, Becky, and Ashley (all UK)


Yun Jeong from Korea - her English wasn't great, and obviously my Korean was non-existent, but we had a blast anyways. Hand gestures gets you a long ways


Hey HC, I met a couple of cute Malaysian girls at the airport, btw. Sorry I didn't get their contact info, otherwise I'd totally hook you up ;)

Other pics

Sunrise, Ankor Wat - unfortunately, it was very cloudy that day, so the picture could've been much better


Carving, Ankor Wat




Monk, Ankor Wat




Old woman, Ankor Wat

2 comments:

Huat said...

Kudos to you for being social and making new friends on the road, and also for taking lots of pictures with people in them - those are my favorites. And it's good to hear that Malaysia is well-represented on the SE Asia traveler circuit. :)

closetmusician said...

Well the girls were actually on a shopping spree in Thailand and on their way back to Malaysia, so not exactly the backpacker type. But one of them was from KL though :)